Messerli & Kramer
For over 40 years, the Messerli & Kramer Government Relations team has shown integrity, unmatched service and a respected presence before the Minnesota Legislature, executive and regulatory agencies and local units of government. Every day we put that experience and knowledge to work to best serve our clients. Our lobbyists have been called upon to develop and pass into law some of the most complex and high profile legislation ever enacted in Minnesota. Just a few examples include:
- Messerli & Kramer has a respected reputation for bipartisan lobbying activities that never take a legislator’s vote for granted. Our real success is reflected by the fact that most of our clients were referred to us by legislators, other lobbyists who know the quality of our work and clients who have experienced the value of having our representation at the Capitol.
- Coordination of statewide lobbying efforts to pass Minnesota’s “Marriage Equality Act.”
- Bonding legislation for Target Field – a 42,000-seat, open air, natural grass ballpark, home of the Minnesota Twins.
- Extensive involvement in bonding legislation to develop and expand metro transit and light rail.
- Lobbying to support passage of mandatory seatbelt laws.
- Representation of Minnesota law enforcement and first responders.
Government Relations services at Messerli & Kramer fall largely under four key areas:
- Legislative Lobbying – helping clients navigate due process and gain access to key decision makers to advocate for their interests.
- Procurement – enhancing the ability for Minnesota companies and organizations to win contracts with state government entities.
- Economic Development – supporting efforts to improve the quality of life and business and job growth in Minnesota communities.
- Municipal Representation – assisting clients with protocols before units of government to obtain approvals, permits, waivers and other assistance.
In addition, our team represents clients in administrative law and grassroots advocacy. In the political arena, we have advised candidates and consulted on elections, and supported the Governor’s office and state agencies. We offer legal and strategic advice for regulatory and administrative bodies, and management of strategic and crisis communications.
JAMES CLARK is a lobbyist in Messerli Kramer’s Government Relations group. Prior to joining the firm in 2002, James was a county prosecutor and a three-term member of the Minnesota House of Representatives. His unique background enables him to help clients navigate an often unfamiliar setting at the Capitol, and tell their stories to decision-makers in a persuasive fashion. Having the perspective of both a legislator and a lobbyist also allows James to cut through the clutter and communicate what matters most.
NANCY HAAS has worked with and in all levels of government. Her experience enables her to grasp complex issues and become a fair and articulate negotiator and an effective communicator. Nancy’s work in government relations includes direct representation of clients at the Minnesota Legislature; legislative consulting and monitoring in the areas of criminal justice, biosciences, tax, energy, health care, transportation and municipal and public finance, and transportation. She provides strategic advice to many industries involved with federal and municipal governments and provides comprehensive assistance with administrative rules and general counsel on the political process.
PATRICK HYNES, as a government relations specialist, spends most of his time outside of the office meeting with legislators, executive branch officials, and clients—on their turf—to both learn and educate. Whether it’s spending the weekend at the Capitol or driving to Thief River Falls for lunch, Patrick represents the interests of his clients wherever, and whenever necessary. Patrick brings nearly 20 years of legislative and private practice experience to bear on behalf of his clients. Patrick served in the Minnesota Senate for six years in a number of key positions, including policy advisor to the Senate Majority Leader. Patrick understands the nuances of legislative procedure that can be the difference between success and failure during the crush of legislative activity. As the Intergovernmental Relations Counsel at the League of Minnesota Cities, Patrick represented the interests of over 800 cities at the Legislature, and was called to the testimony table many times to explain the potential impacts of bills and legislation.
TOM POUL is a Shareholder in Messerli Kramer’s Government Relations group. He is an experienced and respected advocate, representing and advising clients on policy and political issues before the state legislature, executive branch, state agencies and local governments. Tom’s extensive knowledge and understanding of government has been developed over the past 20 years by serving unique roles at the federal, state, and local levels of government. Tom’s career began in Washington D.C., working with Congressman Bill Frenzel and then later, holding high-level positions with Minnesota’s State Auditor Judy Dutcher and with the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry.
KATY SEN is a lobbyist in Messerli Kramer’s Government Relations group. She brings a decade of legislative and executive branch experience in the areas of tax policy, bonding, transportation and state and local government issues. Clients know her as a skilled relationship builder with strong ties to key policy makers and demonstrated success in getting legislation passed into law. Prior to joining Messerli Kramer, Katy served as Deputy Chief of Staff for Governor Mark Dayton, where she oversaw development of the Governor’s biennial and capital budgets; provided strategic and policy advice; and coordinated with federal representatives in Washington on a variety of issues.